More than 1.5 million WordPress websites and counting are under threat from the WordPress cookie consent plugin "Beautiful Cookie Consent Banner". The current attack has 40,000 active installs and is affecting unauthenticated stored cross-site scripting (XSS).
According to Defiant, the WordPress security business that discovered the attacks, the vulnerability even allows the establishment of rogue admin accounts on WordPress websites using unpatched plugin versions (up to and including 2.10.1). Until May 23, 2023, 3 million attacks from over 14,000 IP addresses had been mitigated.
However, a sigh of relief is that notwithstanding the large-scale size of continuing assault attempts, hackers are using a flawed exploit that will most likely not send a payload regardless of whether it's targeting a WordPress site that has installed a vulnerable plugin version.
Nevertheless, administrators of the websites are advised to update them to the latest version because even a failed attack could corrupt the plugin's configuration.
To add up the fare, the attackers have also begun scanning the vulnerable versions of the Essential Addons for Elementor and WordPress Advanced Custom Fields plugins.
Also, the proof-of-concept (PoC) flaws allow unauthenticated attackers to hijack websites after changing admin passwords and gaining privileged access.
Considering such scenarios, staying vigilant is the only solution. Installing a total antivirus solution can protect users from unauthorized attacks.
You can rely on TTB Total Security for the following help:
- Malware Protection: TTB protects your computer from various types of malwares, such as viruses, worms, Trojans, ransomware, spyware, and adware. It scans files and programs, detects malicious code, and removes or quarantines them to prevent damage to your system.
- Real-time Threat Detection: Get the benefit of aided real-time monitoring of your computer's activities and incoming data, providing real-time protection against emerging threats. They can detect and block suspicious files or websites before they can harm your system.
- Web Protection: The web protection features safeguard your online browsing experience. They can detect and block malicious websites, phishing attempts, and other online threats, helping you stay safe while surfing the internet.
- Firewall Protection: TTb Security includes a built-in firewall that acts as a barrier between your computer and the internet, blocking unauthorized access and protecting your sensitive data.
- Automatic Updates: TTB antivirus solutions regularly send updates to stay on par with the latest security threats. These updates ensure that your antivirus program has the most recent virus definitions and security patches, enhancing its effectiveness against new and evolving threats.
- Identity Theft Protection: Certain antivirus software may include features to help protect your identity online. They can detect attempts to steal your personal information, such as passwords or credit card details, and provide alerts or proactive measures to mitigate the risk.
Reference Link: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/hackers-target-15m-wordpress-sites-with-cookie-consent-plugin-exploit/
Using TTB Total Security provides peace of mind knowing that your computer is protected against malware and other online threats. Further protection from the risk of data loss, identity theft, and system damage allows you to use your computer without worrying about security issues.
Since online threats have surpassed every dimension and the scope of the crime is ever growing it becomes imperative to use a security solution that is encompassing.
These high-profile cyber threats have not only resulted in data leakages and can include threats like Emotet, Denial of Service, MITM, Phishing, SQL Injection and more.
However, the serious challenge is from potent sources like corporate spies, hacktivists, terrorist groups, hostile nation-states, criminal organizations, lone hackers, and discontented workers.